Re: Nova-T 500 issues - losing one tuner

On Wed, Mar 12, 2008 at 10:38 PM, Patrik Hansson <patrik@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On Wed, Mar 12, 2008 at 9:34 PM, Patrik Hansson <patrik@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>  >
>  > On Wed, Mar 5, 2008 at 12:03 AM, Ben Firshman <ben@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>  >  > I am quite disappointed to report that one of my tuners has just died
>  >  >  this evening. No error messages to speak of.
>  >  >
>  >  >  Ben
>  >  >
>  >  >
>  >  >
>  >  >  On 26 Feb 2008, at 19:18, Philip Pemberton wrote:
>  >  >
>  >  >  > Patrik Hansson wrote:
>  >  >  >> Just wanted to say that I´m experiencing the same.
>  >  >  >> Using latest rev (the one with patches merged) + unknown remote key
>  >  >  >> patch.
>  >  >  >> Ubuntu 7.10
>  >  >  >>
>  >  >  >> Also having a lot of "prebuffer timeout 10 times" i the middle of
>  >  >  >> shows.
>  >  >  >
>  >  >  > I think I might have a workaround... On Mythbuntu or one of the many
>  >  >  > Ubuntu
>  >  >  > variants, this seems to work:
>  >  >  >
>  >  >  > 1)  Run:
>  >  >  >       lsmod |grep usbcore
>  >  >  >
>  >  >  > 2)  If step 1 produced any output that started with 'usbcore', then
>  >  >  > usbcore is
>  >  >  > loaded as a module. Perform step 3a. Otherwise, step 3b.
>  >  >  >
>  >  >  > 3a) Create a text file called /etc/modprobe.d/local-dvb (the name is
>  >  >  > fairly
>  >  >  > irrelevant). Insert one line of text into it:
>  >  >  >       options usbcore autosuspend=-1
>  >  >  >     Now go to step 4.
>  >  >  >
>  >  >  > 3b) Your kernel has usbcore built in. That means you have to modify
>  >  >  > the kernel
>  >  >  > command line...
>  >  >  >     Edit /boot/grub/menu.lst (you'll need to sudo to do this).
>  >  >  > Search for
>  >  >  > this line:
>  >  >  > # defoptions=quiet splash
>  >  >  >     Amend it to read:
>  >  >  > # defoptions=quiet splash usbcore.autosuspend=-1
>  >  >  >     It's meant to be commented out, so leave the hash at the
>  >  >  > beginning of the
>  >  >  > line alone... Save and exit, then run ...
>  >  >  > sudo update grub
>  >  >  >     Ubuntu will regenerate grub.conf, using the new kernel command
>  >  >  > line. Off
>  >  >  > to step 4 you go!
>  >  >  >
>  >  >  >     If you're using a non-Debian distro (e.g. Fedora), do the same
>  >  >  > thing but
>  >  >  > edit the 'kernel' line instead. It might read:
>  >  >  > kernel          /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.24-8-generic root=LABEL=/ ro quiet
>  >  >  > splash
> [...]

Just wanted to report that since stopped the active EIT scanning in
mythtv-setup my NOVA-T 500 PCI have been stable for 4 days now with
2.6.22-14 without any special module options or anything like that.
Before i never had both tuners working for more that 24 hours so that
seems to be the workaround for the moment.
The card still collects EIT data when watching tv so EPG still works.