Re: DVB-T support for original (A1C0) HVR-900

On Mon, Mar 24, 2008 at 11:04 PM, Markus Rechberger
<mrechberger@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On 3/24/08, Aidan Thornton <makosoft@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>  > Hi,
>  >
>  > I've been attempting to get something that can cleanly support DVB-T
>  > on the original HVR-900, based on up-to-date v4l-dvb and Markus'
>  > em2880-dvb (that is to say, something that could hopefully be cleaned
>  > up to a mergable state and won't be too hard to keep updated if it
>  > doesn't get merged). The current (somewhat messy, still incomplete)
>  > tree is at http://www.makomk.com/hg/v4l-dvb-em28xx/ - em2880-dvb.c is
>  > particularly bad. I don't have access to DVB-T signals at the moment,
>  > but as far as I can tell, it works. Anyone want to test it? General
>  > comments? (Other hardware will be added if I have the time,
>  > information, and someone willing to test it.)
>  >

>  This is more than incomplete, VBI is missing (nor tested with various
>  video standards), and this device is 2 years old and not getting sold
>  anymore.
>  It's better to keep everything together at mcentral.de (this will very
>  likely be moved to an empia domain in near future).
>
>  I will join Empia at 1st April 08, adding support for their new
>  devices (and also improving support of the older ones).
>
>  Markus

Hi,

I've deliberately avoided adding code for VBI - it's just too
difficult to get right on em28xx due to interesting buffer management
and locking issues. (For example, have you fixed the issue that causes
a kernel panic when recording analog video with MythTV? That was a
particularly interesting one.) In any case, that's another issue
entirely - this code is for DVB-T support.

Also, just because this device isn't being sold anymore doesn't mean
it's not worth adding - there are other, fairly similar devices still
on sale. Unfortunately, I don't have access to newer hardware, and
most of the people with the access and knowledge don't seem to want to
have anything to do with it. (Why do I have a feeling that you have a
hand in this?) However, adding support should be easy - all the
necessary code exists and has done for a while (even drx397xd support
for the Pinnacle 330e and the new HVR-900).

Mainly, though, I'm doing it for my own benefit - I have this
hardware, and the changes are small and self-contained enough that I
should be able to stay up-to-date with upstream and keep newer kernels
working with minimal effort. (This tree is actually an updated version
of code I've been using for the past few months on PAL-I and DVB-T,
but didn't publish due to a bug with switching from digital to
analog.)

(By the way, I still reckon your userspace code is a dead end, at
least as far as getting anything merged into the kernel. I think I may
have already explained why.)

Aidan