Re: [RFC] TDA8290 / TDA827X with LNA: testers wanted

On Wed, 19 Mar 2008 23:16:47 +0100
Hartmut Hackmann <hartmut.hackmann@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Hi, Mauro
>
> Mauro Carvalho Chehab schrieb:
> > On Wed, 19 Mar 2008, Hartmut Hackmann wrote:
> >
> >> Mauro, what's your opinion on this? As far as i know, the broken code
> >> is in the upcoming
> >> kernel release. The patch is big, is there a chance to commit it to
> >> the kernel?
> >
> > While some fixes are cosmetic (like __func__ change), and others are
> > just function reordering, I suspect that the real changes are still too
> > big for -rc6. It will probably be nacked.
> >
> > Yet, it may be worthy to try.
>
> This was my opinion as well.
> Did you notice Michaels reply on this issue? He pointed out that the problem
> was introduced by this changeset:
> http://linuxtv.org/hg/v4l-dvb/rev/ad6fb7fe6240 : Add support for xc3028-based boards
>
> If this did not go to Linus yet, we don't have a problem. This also explains
> why we don't have bug reports on this.

It didn't reach mainstream yet. About the bug report, there's a related bug, on
a thread about Avermedia A16D. The issue is that "dev" is NULL but this
shouldn't happen (otherwise, all callbacks will fail).

On your patch, you're just returning, if dev=NULL, at saa7134 callback function. IMO, the correct would be to
print an error message and return. Also, we should discover why dev is being
null there (I'll try to identify here - the reason - yet, I can't really test,
since the saa7134 boards I have don't need any callback.

> > I still need to send a patchset to Linus, after testing compilation
> > (unfortunately, I had to postpone, since I need first to free some
> > hundreds of Mb on my HD on my /home, to allow kernel compilation).
> > Hopefully, I'll have some time tomorrow for doing a "housekeeping".
> >
> Unfortunately, i deleted you mails describing what went to linux and i don't
> have the RC source here :-(

You may take a look on master branch on my git tree. I'm about to forward him a
series of patches. Hopefully, 2GB free space will be enough for a full kernel
compilation. I'll discover soon...

Cheers,
Mauro