trouble creating dvbscan

Greetings,
I am having some trouble creating a dvbscan for pinnicale i800 card.

The card works because I can watch over the air broadcast with TVtime (though the audio is out of sync).

When I try to use w_scan, this is the output I get

w_scan version 20080105
Info: using DVB adapter auto detection.
Info: unable to open frontend /dev/dvb/adapter1/frontend0'
Info: unable to open frontend /dev/dvb/adapter2/frontend0'
Info: unable to open frontend /dev/dvb/adapter3/frontend0'
main:2401: FATAL: ***** NO USEABLE DVB CARD FOUND. *****
Please check wether dvb driver is loaded and
verify that no dvb application (i.e. vdr) is running.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks,
Ed