Re: [EXPERIMENTAL] cx88+xc3028 - tests are required - was: Re: When xc3028/xc2028 will be supported?

On Mon, 18 Feb 2008 23:44:33 -0500"Michael Krufky" <mkrufky@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On Jan 29, 2008 9:25 AM, Mauro Carvalho Chehab <mchehab@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:> > Dâniel and others,> >> > > > Having this tested is a very good news! I'll need to merge this patch with two> > > > other patches that adds DVB support for cx88/xc3028. If I can manage to have> > > > some time for this merge, I'll commit and ask Linus to add this to 2.6.25.> > >> > >       :)> >> > I've merged some patches from several authors, that add xc3028 support for> > cx88.> >> > The experimental tree is available at:> >> > http://linuxtv.org/hg/~mchehab/cx88-xc2028> >> > This patch series adds support for the following boards:> >> >  59 -> DVICO HDTV5 PCI Nano                                [18ac:d530]> >  60 -> Pinnacle Hybrid PCTV                                [12ab:1788]> >  61 -> Winfast TV2000 XP Global                            [107d:6f18]> >  62 -> PowerColor Real Angel 330                           [14f1:ea3d]> >  63 -> Geniatech X8000-MT DVBT                             [14f1:8852]> >  64 -> DViCO FusionHDTV DVB-T PRO                          [18ac:db30]> >> > In thesis, both analog and DVB support (for boards with DVB/ATSC) should be> > working (*). Maybe analog audio may need an additional configuration for some> > specific board (since they may require to add cfg.mts = 1 at xc3028> > initialization code, on cx88-cards).> >> > Please test.> > Mauro,> > We spoke on Thursday, and you asked me to take a look at the code in> your 'cx88-xc2028' tree over the weekend and fix it, if possible.> > The repository is broken after and including changeset ce6afd207b71 -> "Make xc3028 support more generic"  This changeset moves the> device-specific configuration out of the cx88-dvb.c device-specific> switch..case block, into a generic function.  This patch breaks> functionality, and imho, is not a good idea.> > Your changes assume that the analog side of the driver will come up> before the digital side of the driver, which is not necessarily the> case.  Additionally, in some cases, the tuner itself is hidden behind> an i2c gate that is controlled by the dvb / atsc demodulator.  Because> of the i2c gate, communication to the tuner might not be available at> the time that the i2c bus is probed.  For those reasons, the attach> calls to the tuner driver should be fully qualified, relative to the> functionality of the side of the driver that is attaching it.> > The device that I used to test is the FusionHDTV 5 PCI nano.  This> device uses an xc3008 (yes, that is xc3008 -- not a typo) and a> s5h1409 demod.  The device is capable of receiving ATSC digital> broadcasts and the driver does not yet support analog television.> > Steve Toth made the patch that adds atsc support for that card, and> his patch worked without the additional changesets that were added> afterwards.  I made some small fixes and enabled IR support -- see the> bottom of this email for my pull request.> > Your email above states that you've "merged some patches from several> authors".  What I recommend, in order to properly support each device,> would be to apply each patch for each card separately, as we do with> all card support additions.  We know that the original patches, as> submitted by the original authors work properly , since those authors> have conducted their own tests.> > I understand that you've made some attempts to optimize the code in an> effort to reduce memory consumption.  Unfortunately, these efforts> have broken functionality of these devices.  I think that it would> make more sense to work on optimizations after the basic device> support patches are first applied in the standard manner.  This way,> you would have a good point of reference for "before" and "after" that> testers will be able to use for comparison (and bisection).> > Since the only card that I can test is the PCI nano, please pull these> changesets into master for now.> > Please pull from:> > http://linuxtv.org/hg/~mkrufky/cx88-xc2028> > for:> > (91113b8955e2) 4 weeks ago	Steven Toth 	cx88: Add support for the> Dvico PCI Nano.> (394d249f03f1) 47 hours ago	Michael Krufky 	cx88: fix FusionHDTV 5 PCI> nano name and enable IR support
Michael,
It is not that simple. Steven patch works for DTV on PCI Nano; Christopherpatches for some other DiVCO boards (DTV also); my port of Markus patch forother boards (tested by Dâniel Fraga - Analog TV).
The point is not saving memory. The point is that tuner-xc2028 requires justone callback. The callback should work properly for DTV, Analog and Radio. Itmakes no sense to have such generic callback inside cx88-dvb. It should be atcx88xx module, instead.
We need one solution that works for all boards, not just yours.
That's said, maybe SET_TUNER_CONFIG is being called too early. Maybe the way tofix this is to create an special function to initialize it, that would becalled later by cx8800 or cx8802.
Cheers,Mauro
_______________________________________________linux-dvb mailing listlinux-dvb@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx://www.linuxtv.org/cgi-bin/mailman/listinfo/linux-dvb