Fwd: How can I ever succeed using DVB-T on Gentoo Linux?

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: John Drescher <drescherjm@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Jan 22, 2008 4:48 PM
Subject: Re: How can I ever succeed using DVB-T on Gentoo Linux?
To: Jesper Taxbøl <jesper@xxxxxxxxxx>

On Jan 22, 2008 4:23 PM, Jesper Taxbøl <jesper@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Hi John,

I assume you mean v4l-dvb-hg.

Yes.  I am briefly using it with a kworld-115 on amd64 and all is well. I also use this to get the latest ivtv driver for my pvr150. The nice thing here this is kernel independent so this allows me more freedom than what the in kernel versions do.

Thanx for the hint, but I already tried that one without success on
system. I once nearly got a Nova-T USB stick working(noisy) for a
while using that. But I needed to find the source and add the USB ID
in the driver.

It is possible to add a patch to the ebuild (in your own overlay) so you can make this automatic. This is not a beginner step but I have done that quite a few times with gentoo.

By the way can you emerge the media-tv/linuxtv-dvb-firmware ebuild? It
always fails to download, and I assume it is intended for the
v4l-dvb-hg ebuild.

For my card I had a little trouble but it was not at the download step. My problem was that I could tune but got no watchable signal on any channel until I painstakingly spent hours debugging and I finally was able to extract the firmware from my cards windows driver and then using that it worked. After that I replaced the linuxtv-dvb-firmware and it still works. I am confused.

John

--
John M. Drescher