Re: [Bulk] Multiproto ???

Gregoire Favre wrote:
> Hello,
>
> once upon a time, in a far far far away... OK sorry ;-)
>
> A long time ago multiproto was said to be integrated in *near* future...
> to my great disapointment it still isn't, which is certainly not a good
> thing for the user at least...
>
> Could we hope to be *near* inclusion now ?

For those who missed it, yesterday on the maintainers list, Mauro posed
the following:

Mauro Carvalho Chehab wrote:
/
Hi Guys,
// //
//Any position about DVB-S2? It would be nice if we can try to schedule the
//addition of this feature for a future kernel release. 2.6.26?/

To which Manu responded:

Have been fixing bugs, Some bugs have been exposed on some initial tests,
with regards to backward compatibility. Simply pushing it in without any tests
doesn't help at all. This can be tested with applications that make use of it
only.

Regards,
Manu

What do I think can be inferred from this?  Well, I would say that
things are now starting to approach the finish line -- we're in the home
stretch ... we're roundin' third ....

While Manu appeared reluctant in his reply to take to a particular
schedule, I don't think Mauro's suggestion is too far off from what is
likely to occur.  Consider this:  2.6.24 is imminent.  2.6.25 is likely
not to appear until ~ mid May.  Which in turn means as well that the
window for inclusion into 2.6.26 is likely ~mid May - June.

There is a fair amount of time between then and now for testing to
continue and for bugs to be both exposed and resolved, as well as an
eventual push into v4l-dvb.

So, will Multiproto have been sitting/testing in v4l-dvb long enough by
the time of the 2.6.26 window to warrant a pull?  I will hazard a bet
that the answer will be yes --- but that's just my assessment, which is
based upon no particular facts or inside knowledge.

> and I hope the problems of the past could be forgiven.

I do too.  I hope we can all push forward and increase the level of
cooperation around here.