Re: Multiproto ???

> Other questions:
>
> 	- what kind of hardware (other than DVB-S2 card) will be needed to
> decode the stream?
>
> 	- who are the 2% of viewers in the UK who can't see the Eurobird
> footprint?
>
> Tony
> (saving for a Sony FullHD 102cm screen)

IIRC (and as of my other post I cannot find good reference atm).

SD content will be DVB-S, the HD content will be DVB-S2 with h.264
encoding. That will mean that you will need a reasonably fast CPU as there
isn't hardware acceleration of h.264 under linux yet (Video acceleration
API is being worked on, search for VAAPI). I imagine that most
transmissions are likely to be 720p at most so any modern CPU should have
enough power.

As for the footprint, the BBC trust has an obligation to make its programs
available to everyone in the UK, with the phasing out of analogue
transmissions I think I read somewhere that this is their only choice to
ensure total coverage.