Re: ATI Theatre 650 card support?

Baha Baydar wrote:
>> CityK wrote:
>>
>> Never heard back from Baha, so still no idea on the original PCI
>> variant. (http://www.linuxtv.org/wiki/index.php/ATI/AMD_TV_Wonder_650_PCI).
>>

> I totally forgot that I had offered to do this. I've sent the inf
> files in a separate email. Let me know if you don't get them.

Hi Baha,

I had suspected that you were no longer with us, but good to see that
you still are. I did indeed receive the files (thanks) and have looked
them over.

> I think these are probably the most relevant lines from aticxwxp.inf:

Actually, the info contained in that file is for some other devices: TV
Wonder Pro, TV Wonder 200....The "cx" component in the filename is
likely in reference to their shared use of the Conexant cx88 decoder. I
believe that those two cards are essentially the same, except that the
200 used a newer Philips tuner module (in fact, I believe the TV Wonder
200 was the TV Wonder Pro's replacement). IIRC, the 200 was launched at
the same time as the TV Wonder 650 PCI.

Anyway, as for the 650 itself, the info for it is contained in the
atirioxxx.inf file in the applicable /WDM_ALL/RIO directories. I imagine
that "Rio" is ATI's code/internal name for the 550/650 IC. The inf
provides that:

%ATIAVPCI.DeviceDesc% = ATIAVPCI, PCI\VEN_1002&DEV_4D53 ;Rio vendor id
and device PCIe id
%ATIAVPCI.DeviceDesc% = ATIAVPCI, PCI\VEN_1002&DEV_4D52 ;Rio vendor id
and device PCI id
%ATIAVPCI.DeviceDesc% = ATIAVLIMA, PCI\VEN_1002&DEV_4D51
%ATIAVPCI.DeviceDesc% = ATIAVLIMA, PCI\VEN_1002&DEV_4D50

1002:4D52 is the pci id for the 550 ( see
http://pci-ids.ucw.cz/iii/?i=10024d52 ).

Curious that the 650 does not have a unique id.

No subsystem id info is mentioned in the file (but you'd be able to
provide/ascertain it from the output of lspci -vvnn).

The rio.inf does provide some basic register setting info for the
decoder, and perhaps some info for the mpeg2 encoder stage, but in terms
of descriptors it is pretty darn generic and sheds no further clues.
There may be other files in the RIO directory that might provide further
information, or perhaps even some of the binaries may contain some text
that provides greater detail, but that would require a whole lot of time
in trolling that, unless the development of drivers/support for the card
was eminent, could be spent much more productively elsewhere.