Re: USB issues

> Hey Yousef,
>
> Yousef Lamlum wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> Perhaps this is the wrong place to ask but I've been having a USB
>> related issue with my Artec T14BR (Ultima Electronics). It's a USB 2.0
>> device and it's plugged in to a PCI USB 2.0 card (with NEC chipset).
>> The problem is this: When booting from cold (powered off), the Ubuntu
>> boots fine but does not recognise the T14BR. dmesg tells me "usb 3-3:
>> device descriptor read/64, error -62".  Subsequent reboots do not make
>> the device work either.
>>
>> However, if I physically unplug and replug in the device it is picked
>> up, the driver loads and it works instantly, and remains working with
>> each reboot until the computer is powered down.
>>
>> I've researched the problem, and tried a variety of suggestions (tried
>> other USB ports on the card, passing boot options to the kernel, trying
>> different cables) all with no difference.
>>
>> Given that a fair few of you use USB 2.0 devices, has anyone come across
>> this problem before, and if so, does anyone have a solution?
>
> This is because the firmware is not part of the initrd/initramfs
> used by ubuntu.
> You'll have to create on with the needed files.
>
> --
> flip

Thanks for this. I've just been looking into how I can include the
firmware into the initramfs image used by Ubuntu 7.10 and have drawn a
blank.

Also this solution seems a little odd to me. Admittedly my Linux
experience is limited, but why is the firmware needed so early on in the
booting process? Isn't the loading of firmware onto the device a process
that occurs when the module loads?

If this is a elementary question please excuse my lack of knowledge!

Thanks,

Yousef.