Re: dvbloop - A virtual DVB adapter

Andreas Oberritter wrote:
> Hello Steven,
>
> Steven Toth wrote:
>> Exposing an input to the kernel demux via userspace doesn't sound like a
>> bad idea. It would certainly allow developers to build DVB/ATSC
>> applications without having access to live feeds, instead using canned
>> loops provided by who-ever.
>>
>> Any reason why this feature (not necessarily this specific patch)
>> couldn't be part of the regular v4l-dvb tree?
>
> I think the feature you want is already available. You can write a TS to
> dvr0. What makes dvbloop different is that it provides a virtual adapter
> (which might also be useful).
>
> Regards,
> Andreas

Hello Andreas!

Yes, I came to know this feature some while ago (loop-back via dvr device).
But I also think dvbloop has its use-cases. For example,

(1) dvbloop used to deliver a TS stream received over a network from a PC having a real DVB card, or
(2) inside a Virtual Machine (VM). I personally use this for developing the dvb-net module. Could also
be used to do testing on dvb-core

BTW, I've created a development repository for dvbloop based on the current
v4l-dvb master repository. It is located at: http://www.cosy.sbg.ac.at/~cpraehaus/hg.cgi/dvbloop/

Cheers,
Christian.

--