Re: Asus p7131Hybrid: help me using an internal patch cable?

Am Donnerstag, den 22.11.2007, 06:06 +0100 schrieb Soeren Sonnenburg:
> On Mon, 2007-11-19 at 04:28 +0100, hermann pitton wrote:
> > Hi Paolo,
> [...]
> > >From the driver's side, if it is connected, I'm not aware of anything
> > that could stop it, since the from analog derived digital sound works.
> >
> > It is now exactly two years back, that we have support for such Asus
> > cards. Exactly _one_ user had a disappointing experience with _one_ such
> > card on _his_ PC, as far I know. :)
> >
> > And this is the result _on top_ of the DVB-T v4l-wiki currently.
> > http://linuxtv.org/wiki/index.php/DVB-T_PCI_Cards#Asus
> >
> > I'm not related to Asus in anyway, they simply had one of the first
> > those cards. They have never been bothered about it.
> > So, I can't even say if they would have been willing to help or not.
> >
> > What is stated there currently is all, but for sure not the truth.
> >
> > Since I have been involved in getting those cards to work, I won't give
> > the wiki censor, it is right that users tell what they found thereafter,
> > but it also shows the whole stupidity of any wiki-mania, even the
> > pictures are wrong and show a different device.
>
> Well as I am that one such user with one such card I can only tell that
> I know have a TT-1500 in the exact same machine in the exact same slot
> and I don't see random memory corruptions to happen and the machine has
> including 3 dvb cards an uptime of 1 month now.
>
> With the asus it was usually crashing after 4 days of continuous usage.
> So either the driver is buggy, the card's hardware is or it is
> triggering a bug on my hardware that no other card triggers.
>
> And well it could of course be that no one uses the asus p7131 in a long
> term setup. I mean the dibcom dongles all work fine if you just don't
> want to use them for more then just a flick.
>
> A way to tell the truth could be to record exactly what works under
> which circumstances / hardware / how long things were tested.
>
> I bought the asus back then because it was said to be fully
> working/supported in the above wiki page ... so your mileage may vary.
>
> Soeren.

Hi Soeren,

good to know, it was you then. You did spend at least a lot of time on
it and seriously tried to track it down.

Unfortunately we still know exactly nothing, could be something
BIOS/PSU/hardware, saa7134 driver, tuner code, even the IRQ remote.

Or some nice combination of it.

As said, nothing is perfect, and I never did exclude a potential driver
bug, some are hard to get, but to blame it all to the card manufacturer
is most likely very, very wrong.

Cheers,
Hermann