Re: XC5000/XC3028 tuner dvb support? (an apology)

Hi James,

On 10/24/07, James Klaas <jklaas@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> I apologize, Markus, for making that rather rude comment.  But, from a
> user's perspective the split between you and the rest of the v4l/dvb
> community is extrordinarily frustrating and my comment reflects that.
> I think both sides are responsible for the split to varying degrees.
>
> Your work has been invaluable to many people including myself, but I
> think pulling your code down so abruptly has caused a pretty big loss
> in goodwill and respect, even from some of your supporters.
>
> I have also become a little uneasy with some aspects of this split.
> It appears to my untrained eye, Markus, that you still depend quite a
> bit on the dvb/v4l community to provide a working structure for your
> code and for users to provide information on various hardware.  This
> is not to belittle your amazing work, but it seems odd that (it
> appears) you depend so much on the community you've so roundly
> criticised.
>
> In all, it wouldn't be so frustrating for the users who depend on both
> projects if they got along in the kernel at the same time.  Obviously,
> I'm not sure this is practicable, or even possible, but that would
> alleviate some of the tension.

I see technical limitations for several parts that's why I'm
continuing with the BSD project which aims at compatibility with the
linux project in the end.
I really need the time which I spent with noway discussions previously
for other (nonlinux) things, so I'll just do whatever I promised some
people and the rest I don't mind anymore. There are business interests
behind what I need to finish, if the community wants to finish hacked
alternative drivers they should do so.

Markus

--
http://www.couchsurfing.com/people/mrec