Re: DVB driver for WinTV-D card

I don't know much about how these things work, but I was hoping that dvb would nit need the mpeg decoder.  Doesn't the ts stream come in mpeg2? Would you be able to help me find the best jumping off point?  Are there any existing projects that would have close to what I need?  Where would be a good place to host the project?  Are there and good documents on the architecture and design principles.  I have always wanted to get in to this kind of stuff, but there has never been any time and what little research I have done there was soo much information that I could not get my hands around it.

Thanks

On 10/15/07, Michael Krufky <mkrufky@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
CityK wrote:
> Olin Atkinson wrote
>
>> Has anyone done any work on getting the
>> digital side working?  I would love to help.  I am an electrical engineer
>> who has worked as a java programmer for the last 11 years.  I have some free
>> time and would like to play with this for the fun of it.
>>

> Stemming from an IRC discussion, held a couple of months ago, about the
> FCV1236 tuner, Mike Krufky (who is also a WinTV-D owner...or at least
> was) and I looked at the WinTV-D, and, as far as what we could see from
> the archives, no work ever went in towards the digital side.  It would
> likely not be an easy task at that -- one of the difficulties right out
> of the gate would be in obtaining documentation for the LG decoder --
> there is none to be found via google, so other means will likely be
> necessary.  I don't know if LG or Hauppauge would be interested in
> furnishing you with a data sheet .... (Mike had inquired with Hauppauge
> previously, but there apparently wasn't much interest ... but he would
> be able to comment better now, given a change in circumstances).

I was thinking of writing a driver for the tda8960 demod, but CityK is right -- I've no idea how I will attain support for the mpeg decoder, nor am I familiar enough with those types of devices...   I'm more interested in newer devices right now -- sorry.

As it is now, this might be a project for a "rainy day", if all other projects suddenly become boring. :-/

Regards,

Mike