Re: Strage SkyStar HD modprobe

Reinhard Nissl wrote:
> Hi,

>>> I experience a similar behaviour. There are days (like to today) when I
>>> have to completely power off my machine to get the card working.
>>> Sometimes tuning DVB-S channels works, but DVB-S2 doesn't work. After a
>>> power off, it most likely works. Today I had to power off the machine
>>> for more than one times. That's really strange.
>>>
>>> The attached log excerpt shows the output of stb0899_get_dev_id for
>>> today. Other register values are crappy, too.
>> Can you try playing with SAA7146 I2C speeds locally to see whether it is an
>> I2C transaction issue ? (ie lower the transaction rate a bit)
>
> One problem is that it doesn't happen often enough to see, whether a
> changed speed would improve the situation. Especially when a reboot
> would be necessary due to a module not unloading (seems to have been
> fixed lately), the test scenario vanishes.
>
> If you have a look at the condensed output of this year's logfiles,
> there seems to be the chance that testing should be possible as the
> device reports 29 times "Release=[1]" and 16 times "Release=[2]". I
> don't think, that the hardware changes it's release number that often ;-)
>
> Another major problem is that I don't have a clue, where and how to
> change the transaction rate. I had a glance into saa7146_i2c.c, but I'm
> unsure whether it has something to do with "dev->i2c_bitrate" or
> "msleep(SAA7146_I2C_DELAY)".

Maybe Oliver can help ? He has been maintaining the SAA7146 devices
for some time, he can probably give a better suggestion for the same i
guess.

> I'd like you to guide me changing the transaction rate a first time.
> Then I can run further tests on my own. Thanks in advance.
>
> Bye.

I will ask STM though on the same as to what can cause such an issue,
but don't wait for that reply, as they can get back only after valid tests
and results.

Regards,
Manu