Re: [UK Specific] Ditch Sky!

On 10/02/2007 02:12 PM, Robert Longbottom wrote:
> On Tue, October 2, 2007 12:49 pm, UxBoD wrote:
>> Nope, don't have Sky+ and refuse to pay for it; hence looking at a MythTV
>> installation.  Okay, so I would need to replace my Sky dish with a
>> different one that has dual LNBs.  I presume that also means running a
>> second coax cable aswell ?
>
> Yes, or just replace the LNB and keep the dish.  I'm not sure if you need
> a specific "sky" LNB for the sky dish because it isn't round, but I'd have
> thought you could pick one up from somewhere (ebay maybe) or try asking in
> somewhere like Maplins, I've overheard them giving reasonable advice on
> satellite kit in my local branch.
>
> And yes, you need a second coax from the dish to your reciever.  I'm not
> sure if its possible to get round this using some kind of disecq switch,
> but when I put my dish up, I figured running two wires wasn't much more
> difficult than just running one.
>
> Robert.
>
>> Regards,
>>
>> --[ UxBoD ]--
>> // PGP Key: "curl -s https://www.splatnix.net/uxbod.asc | gpg --import"
>> // Fingerprint: C759 8F52 1D17 B3C5 5854  36BD 1FB1 B02F 5DB5 687B
>> // Keyserver: www.keyserver.net Key-ID: 0x5DB5687B
>> // Phone: +44 845 869 2749 SIP Phone: uxbod@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

I believe the Sky LNB (Philips IIRC) is indeed different. A standard LNB
will probably work, but not optimal. One option is to replace the whole
dish with a standard dish (Triax, Gibertini or other standard dish) so
you can put a standard twin or quad LNB on it.

For the CAM, the T-rex (or Dragon, pretty much the same as the T-rex)
only works when you load firmware from the internet into it with a CAS
interface or loadercard (you load the firmware on the loadercard with a
Phoenix cardreader first). This firmware can't be downloaded from any
"legal" site, you'll need to look in the darker areas of the internet
(and I can and will not help you. :p). You can also get the Diablo CAM,
same story. You still need to put your Sky card in an official Sky
receiver every 4-6 weeks or so, because the T-rex/Diablo does not update
the Sky card. There does not exist any CAM that supports the Sky card
out of the box, neither does there exist any CAM that is capable of
updating the Sky card. I believe some cardservers can update the card,
but that's a whole different story.

Good luck. I'd say your best option is to get rid of the Sky card and be
happy with everything FTA. You may want to consider setting up a UHF
antenna so you can get Freeview (if you're anywhere close to a
transmitter), on Freeview you can get some channels FTA that require a
subscription on satellite at the moment (like E4 and More4, and Channel
4 is FTA so you don't need a smartcard for that either).