Re: DVB API update

Michael Hunold wrote:> Hello all,>> before taking part of this discussion, please make sure to have read the> v4 wiki page:>> http://www.linuxtv.org/wiki/index.php/Linux_DVB_API_Version_4>> In particular, please read the most recent Linux DVB API v4 documentation:>> http://linuxtv.org/downloads/linux-dvb-api-v4/linux-dvb-api-v4-0-3.pdf>> Please pay attention especially to chapter 1 "Introduction" and to the> development history.
Hi Michael,
Manu and I had brief dialogue, not so long ago, that I've been meaningto bring to light, and your post presents the perfect opportunity ... myapologies for not getting back to it sooner.  Anyway, here goes:
In regards to the development history outlined within CH1 (S1.3) of theLinux DVB API  V4 documentation, there appears to be a small error offact.   You have written that:
" In 1998 the Technotrend GmbH develops the still very popular PC DVBcard with a full-featured STB processor on it. In 1999 Siemens produces a card based onthe Technotrenddesign"
However, Manu recounts, and other things that I have seen writtencollaborate with his recollection, that it was Siemens who were theoriginal FF card designer.  Apparently, although it was the TechnoTrendproduced model that stepped into the spotlight (read: became verypopular), the TT card itself was based upon the Siemens design, and,hence, it was the Siemens that truly was "the mother of all FF cards".  If I'm not mistaken SNI (Siemens Nixdorf Informationssysteme AG; theactual Siemens division responsible for the card) continued to producetheir own model through 1999, until at which time SNI was split from itsparent company and parts of which (SNI) were used to form theFujitsui-Siemens joint venture.

I also have a couple of questions related to the continuing part of thesame above statement:
"In 1999 Siemens produces a card .... and supports the development ofthe first Linux driver as a diploma thesis".
Q1 - Did Siemens financially or otherwise (ie. supplying documentationor other intellectual knowledge) support/sponsor the development of thefirst Linux DVB driver?   Or am I misinterpreting the above ... perhapswhat was meant to be implied by the statement was more simply that:  itwas the Siemens card upon which the first Linux DVB driver was based ?
Q2 - For whom was this driver development the basis of a diploma thesis?
I don't think it was for Ralph's PhD  ?  As far as Manu could recall,and find, Ralph had already completed has dissertation and earned hisdoctorate (Aug 99) prior to engagement with Convergence (Oct 99). Additionally, in the Metzler brothers' Linux DVB API  V3 documentation,Ch 1 (S1.2), they only write:
"The first API for DVB cards we used at Convergence in late 1999 was anextensionof the Video4Linux API which was primarily developed for frame grabbercards. Assuch it was not really well suited to be used for DVB cards ...
In early 2000, we were approached by Nokia with a proposal for a newstandardLinux DVB API. As a commitment to the development of terminals based on openstandards, Nokia and Convergence made it available to all Linuxdevelopers and pub-lished it on http://www.linuxtv.org/ in September 2000. "
Perhaps the first DVB driver (developed prior to the Linux DVB API V1)was used by Marcus for some diploma ?
Interesting enough, Holger recorded, in his submission to the wiki's"DVB API history and future" article (see the original Sept 27, 2004submission here:http://www.linuxtv.org/wiki/index.php?title=DVB_API_history_and_future&oldid=1239) that the Noika sponsored  Linux DVB API V1 was implemented by theMetzlers along with Christian Theiss.
By chance, did Christian's surname "Theiss" get confused somewhere alongthe way with thesis ?