Re: DVB API update

Some quick thoughts:

  - the new API should support the DVB API v3.x as an "API layer".
    Otherwise it will take a long time, to get most dvb applications
    running on the new API, which would make it hard to replace the
    current API.

  - A runtime version check of the API is needed. Currently the API
    version is determined at compile time, which is useless, when
    distributing binaries (one of the bad things on linux are
    incompatible API changes over time).
    A simple major.minor version number check will IMO do.

  - a "user structure" for hardware specific data (e.g. retrieve
    special data from a special frontend chip would be nice.
    this should be optional (*NULL = not used or not implemented).
    otherwise something like:
       struct { char[xx]   hw_info;
                specific data...
                }  *;

  - enum dvb_fe_modulation {
	DVB_FE_QPSK = (1 << 0),
	[...]
	DVB_FE_QAM_256 = (1 << 5),
	DVB_FE_QAM_AUTO = (1 << 6)
	};

    better would be something like this:
     DVB_FE_QAM_AUTO = (1 << 15)
    so, we have some space for future extensions...

  - API 3 is missing a a function for retrieving current frontend
    settings (e.g. on SAT  LNB settings). It would be sufficient, when
    simply the last parameters set are returned.
    Currently on API3 a "second dvb application" can change the frontend,
    whithout any chance for the "main dvb application" to detect this
    easily.