Re: Status of TT3200 driver development? Sharing might be the answer

On Wed, 2007-09-12 at 00:13 +0400, Manu Abraham wrote:
> Mario Smit wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > Background
> > ----------
> > Two weeks ago I've received my new TT3200 DVB/S2 card. Since that moment
> > I've tried to get it working under Linux.
> >
> > I've downloaded all the patches, bits and pieces from Manu, Laasa and
> > others and made it work, kind of... Which means it once in a while locks
> > on DVB/S channels and never locked on DVB/S2 channels. This means the
> > driver in it's current state is far from ready and is worthless.
> >
> > I am a programmer myself and am willing to put my time in it. But there
> > is absolutely no public information available. That's strange because
> > without this information the current driver could never get to the state
> > it is now. I've read some people had contact with STM, it's even in the
> > copyright notice, but why don't we share this information?
>

> I am sorry to say this, but what i have based upon the work is based on
> an agreement with STM, the agreement
> conditions which went like this:
>
> "Is it possible to communicate information to you under NDA and not have
> that information propagated?  Or does any information I pass to you
> become considered as public knowledge? "

I was unaware of the fact that you had received this information under a
NDA. Because of this you are legally bound not to distribute this
information further.

> > Sharing as a solution
> > about the chips used?
> >
> > Open source is all about sharing. If we don't have good code to share
> > yet, let's share at least the information that will make it possible to
> > write it!
> >

> Information under NDA cannot be shared, that's what the NDA is all
> about. If that happens, that it becomes public knowledge that which was
> not meant to be, temporarily it would be fun, yes.
>
> But later when newer things they will just show the middle finger, also
> not to forget that the people who went on with the agreement are liable
> as well.

Yes, if you go against their wishes you will certainly have problems
later getting help from them.

Unfortunately this creates the situation that only selected people have
a little bit information that they are not allowed to share. So, we can
only test the results of their works (reactive) and not work together
(proactive) creating the best driver possible.