Re: [RFC] Add LNA support to VIDIOC_G/S_TUNER

Steven Toth wrote:
> Hans Verkuil wrote:

>>> This seems fine to me.  The only thing that I wonder is:
>>>
>>> #1) Why will the user need to change the LNA setting?
>>>
>>> #2) How will the user know that the setting needs to be changed?
>>>

>> Let me answer this in reverse order:
>>
>> 2) The picture is bad
>> 1) To solve 2)
>>
>> Basically Hauppauge made a bad decision when they chose the Samsung
>> tuners. I'm still not certain whether Hauppauge made a mistake in the
>> board design or that these tuners are fatally flawed: the datasheet
>> for the PAL Samsung tuner has a flowchart showing how to detect
>> whether the LNA bit should be turned on depending on the signal
>> strength. However, testing showed that this doesn't work, furthermore
>> I received information that the required circuitry to make this work
>> wasn't implemented. The datasheet for the NTSC tuner has no flowchart
>> at all, so I'm still not sure whether the NTSC tuner has that ability
>> or not, but even if it has it won't work due to lack of board support.
>>
>> By default the LNA bit is on, which works fine in 90% of the cases.
>> However, people who have a very strong signal will get herringbone
>> artifacts and need to turn it off. And since signal strength can very
>> between channels it is not enough to make it a module option.
>>

> I think this is generally a positive change, but I have a couple of
> comments.
>
> What about the digital equivalent and how will this impact hardware
> designs were a tuner frontend (and LNA) maybe shared between analog and
> digital paths? I remember discussions on the DVB ML where a module
> parameter was added for the nova-t-500, because of a similar requirement.
>
> Does this feature also belong in dvb_frontend?

I do this dynamically, rather than in a static hardcoded way. It is
called a servo loop. You can do something similarly, if you want. Sounds
quite silly to hard code things.

      static int mc44s80x_adjust_lna_ifgain(struct mc44s80x_state *state)
      {
              struct mc44s80x_reg *reg = &state->reg;
              static int lna_gain = 7;
              int if_pwr, err = 0;
              while (1) {
                      err = mc44s80x_avg_ifdet(state, &if_pwr);

                      if (if_pwr > RF_PWR_MAX) {
                              if (lna_gain < LNAAGC_GAIN_MIN) {
                                      lna_gain++; /* increasing lna gain
reduces tuner gain */

MC44S80x_SETFIELD(LNAAGC_NORMALAGC, *(reg->lna_agc), lna_gain);
                              } else {
                                      break;
                              }
                      } else if (if_pwr < RF_PWR_MIN) {
                              if (lna_gain > 0) {
                                      lna_gain--; /* decreasing lna gain
increases tuner gain */

MC44S80x_SETFIELD(LNAAGC_NORMALAGC, *(reg->lna_agc), lna_gain);
                              } else {
                                      break;
                              }
                      }