Re: Hauppauge WINTV Nova-T 500 PCI

On Thu, 2007-08-30 at 08:03 +0200, Maillist wrote:
> I have an amplifier installed close to antenna.

This is where you want it.

>  The amplifier has 4 outputs

I hope this is a good quality splitter you got there.

>  and
> one of them are connected to the server which are placed in the
> basement. The
> cable is 25 meters long.

Good quality cable?

>  At the server I have a 1-2 splitter

Good quality splitter? Nothing plastic, ugly little metallic boxes are
usually better.

> since I have 2
> TV-cards.
>
> - Would is good to replace the 1-2 splitter at the server with an
> amplifier with
> 2 outputs??

Nope, this is not the place it would amplify the signal as well as any
noise inserted by the cable, splitters, connectors, etc...

> - Should I maximize the output level on the "top-level" amplifier (I
> don't
> remember what level it has right now)?

If you can, this is the best place to do it.

Check your cables, the connectors (switch to well mounted F everywhere),
check for the status (rust and all) on the connections outside...

Minimize anything that could deteriorate the signal on its way to your
tuners.

When I moved into my current house, I changed all connectors, got rid of
ugly splitters, trashed a supermarket amp+splitter close to the TV and
replaced a few cables. I have gained 15% signal :o)

Next, I will replace the main antenna cable, change the antenna with one
with more elements and an amp at the mast, and make sure all
connectivity is protected from the beautiful scottish weather.

I should easily get a jump of 20% more signal, mostly by cleaning the
path.

> - Can electronic devices be damaged by too much amplified signal??

If you stick to your antenna-mounted amp, you should be OK.

Nico