Re: [RFC] Hybrid tuner refactoring, phase 1

Michael Krufky <mkrufky <at> linuxtv.org> writes:

> For the past few months, I've been working on refactoring the analog tuner.ko
module, such that all
> hardware-specific code can be separated into dvb_frontend style tuner modules.
...snip...

> If there are any other questions, comments or concerns, I would love to hear
them.  Please don't be shy -- feel
> free to let me know if you like or dislike this approach.  I'd like to have
this merged as soon as possible, so
> that I may continue to work on the items mentioned about in the "What comes
next?" section.

> Now, it's time to go out and party!  I will be able to respond to any comments
tomorrow afternoon.

> Regards,
>
> Michael Krufky

Thanks Michael.

I for one would very much appreciate a document detailing the
implementation requirements for new drivers, and the necessary
interconnections between tuner/demod/demux modules.

The existing codebase has apparent duplication, redundancies and
maybe obsolete/deprecated bits that make a 'clean sheet' implementation
difficult to realise from a reverse-engineered view of existing drivers.

Such a canonical driver doc would also help new drivers to better conform
to standards thus easing maintenance and upgrades and assisting code reuse.

Regards,
MikeW