Remote control handling results in failure to shutdown

Attempting to shut the system down (e.g. 'poweroff') does everything,
including turning the light on the front system off, but never quite
fully powers the machine off. I have to hold the power button down for
about 5 seconds to actually properly turn it off.

This behavior has been observed by myself and others with an Intel Mac Mini.

I was originally seeing this issue with a Cinergy T2 device but have
now also witnessed it with an MSI Mega Sky 580 and a Pinnacle PCTV
Diversity (note, all of these are USB devices).

The source if the problem was only revealed by the PCTV Diversity
driver, on failed shutdowns following the usual:

   Sending all processes the TERM signal
   Sending all processes the KILL signal

I receive a stream of the following message:

   stk7700d:RC Query Failed

Commenting the remote control handling out of the PCTV Diversity
driver has 'solved' the shutdown problems, shutdown is now 100%
reliable.

Any suggestions as to the root cause of this issue or a 'solution'
other than manually removing RC handling from the drivers would be
greatly appreciated.

Stephen