Re: Nova-t 500 remote working for you?

Simon Lundell wrote:

> On 8/16/07, *Torgeir Veimo* <torgeir@xxxxxxxxx
> <mailto:torgeir@xxxxxxxxx>> wrote:
>
>     On Thu, 2007-08-16 at 07:39 +0100, Andy Morton wrote:
>     > se the same Lirc files (albeit modified slightly to map the bottom
>     > two rows to digital text) and it does work - irw shows the correct
>     > key
>     > presses and mythtv can be controlled by remote - but only from
>     > ridiculously close to the receiver (even with new batteries ;))
>     Makes
>     > me
>     > think it's hardware problem rather than a configuration problem.
>
>     Some cards come with a faulty sensor
>

> I have had cards with faulty sensors that only worked intermittently.
> I have also experienced that fluorescent light bulbs can interfere
> with the IR signal.Very hard to debug when you think its a software
> problem :)
> //Simon*
> *

I've been doing a little reading around lirc in general (and
particularly in Ubuntu here
<https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Install_Lirc_Feisty?highlight=%28lirc%29>
and here <http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=288229>). From what I
can tell, the fact that when I press a number key whilst lirc is stopped
it appears in the console means that the remote is being picked up by
ir_common within the kernel and being interpreted as keystroke events.
Assuming I'm understanding all of this correctly, is there any way that
could be causing the reduced reception zone?

I'm very reluctant to say that it's a faulty sensor causing this, as it
all worked perfectly in Windows back in the day. The remote itself has
had some rough treatment in it's time, so I'm thinking if it's hardware
then it's probably that.

 Andy