Re: DVB-S2 support

Michael Krufky wrote:
> Steven Toth wrote:
>
>> Nicolas Will wrote:
>>
>>> Guys,
>>>
>>> The HVR4000 looks good on paper, but activity in not heavy, and it has
>>> that design flow that prevents it from being real useful (cannot do T
>>> and S at the same time).
>>>
>>> So I am looking for a dedicated DVB-S2 only solution in order to expand
>>> my HTPC.
>>>
>>> So what about the Hauppauge WinTV NOVA-HD-S2 card? The wiki if empty
>>> about this one, so I guess it is not the best choice...
>>>
>>> What would yo propose?
>>>

>> Darron Broad, another member of this ML is currently reviewing my
>> hvr3000 and hvr4000 patches to achieve the same goals.
>>
>> I'm personally very happy with the hvr4000 support, and the hvr3000
>> approach to multiple frontends on a single bus, but no single tree
>> contains both, and it would likely be a large cumbersome patch to submit
>> for review for Mauro - so I'm reluctant to do that.
>>
>> My goal is to get basic hvr4000 DVB-S/S2 support merged first (after
>> multiproto is merged), then follow that with the 'multiple frontend on a
>> single bus' HVR3000 patches, thereby enabling DVB-T/S and S2 all in one go.
>>
>> ... But were a way off, perhaps months from seeing multiproto accept in
>> v4l-dvb hg.
>>
>> If you want to take a shot at merging HVR3000 and 4000 for your own use
>> then atleast ping Darron via this ML, you're working on the same thing.
>>

> Steve,
>
> Why not merge DVB-S support only, into the master branch, so that users of that
> card can use the features of it that are NOT still up in the air?
>
> Then, it would only require a patch in order to enable the extra features, and
> lessen the load of those changes later on?

What about a compiler directive (#fdef MULTIPROTO) or something similar,
meaning one driver can fit both models until multiproto actually arrives?

I can probably make that happen, which would give DVB-S only support,
which better than nothing.

It won't bring DVB-T or DVB-S dynamic support though, but it is probably
acceptable to some people.

- Steve