Re: Suspend/resume for Mantis 2033 driver

Thankyou for your feedback.

Maybe others can implement full suspend/resume
on other drivers too, because we have one more working example.
It is better that I try to concentrate on Mantis,
because then I can be helpful without trying too much.

My current focus is to implement suspend/resume (S2DISK, resume from there)
into all Mantis drivers on Manu's branch with minimal Mantis frontend
changes.
All my changes went into dvb/mantis/ and dvb/frontends/cu1216.c,
so that dvb/dvb_core/ directory didn't need any changes
and thus my implementation should be copiable at least into all PCI
based DVB cards.

My plan is also, that with my initial implementation as a start,
Mantis drivers can be made more fine-grained (S2MEM, Hibernate, ?).

I don't know how to do suspend/resume with USB.
Somebody else could try to figure out what is necessary with USB
suspend/resume.

My version does
1. Mantis driver suspend (did we have DMA transfer?)
2. Mantis driver PCI suspend (mantis_pci.c)
3. Linux completes the S2DISK and does full power off.
4. Computer gets power back and Linux starts with grub and Linux begins
resume from DISK.
5. Mantis driver PCI resume (mantis_pci.c, restore PCI configuration)
6. Mantis driver resume (restore Mantis power configuration, tune
frequency, restore DMA transfer).

So tasks 2 and 5 are different for USB hardware.

I will send patches into this email list for Manu. You can take source
code copies for other drivers too.
I will release my patches probably with GPLv3 so that they can be
incorporated into Linux
kernel and modified/copied when necessary for other drivers.

I looked that pluto2 is a PCI device. Thus my future Mantis patches
could be used as a sample
to implement suspend/resume for it. For USB devices, cinergyT2 has
suspend/resume implementation.

If you or somebody wants, he can try to implement suspend/resume into
pluto2 for example,
and maybe I am able to help him to succeed.

Best regards,
Marko Ristola