How to achieve persistent DVB-S tuning?

I'm trying to get szap (or dvbtune) to maintain a lock, even after dvbtune or szap have been closed.

Whenever I tune to a transponder, it gets a lock, and then I close the application and open up dvbsnoop.  Dvbsnoop will work for a few seconds, and then no further data will be available.  I then have to re-run dvbtune or szap to get another lock.

I've used applications other than dvbsnoop, like mplayer, etc., and I have the same issue.

I'm using a SkyStar2 DVB-S, running on a Fedora 7 box.

Any help is appreciated!

Thanks,

-wade