new bee question

Tell me, please, why this project implements tuner and demodulator in kernel space?
May be new v4l2 in user space should cause tuner and demodulator user space libraries also?
Same could be told about LNB device.
So, while all those devices managed through I2C, this is the point where kernel space begins.

I am standing before vxworks code, which should be ported to linux.