Re: KNC1 DVB-S CI?

Oliver Endriss wrote:
> P. van Gaans wrote:
>> http://linuxtv.org/wiki/index.php/KNC1_TV-Station_DVB-S
>>
>> The wiki says "The card has a CI connector but it most probably isn't
>> supported by Linux.". I've got the card and indeed, it doesn't seem to
>> work. There is a ca0 in /dev/dvb/adapter0 but in Kaffeine the encrypted
>> channels are still black.
>>
>> But I wonder, with the DVB-C version of this card, the CI works without
>> a hitch (and I should know, I own one). According to the wiki the DVB-T
>> version also has a working CI. I somehow can't imagine the CI on the
>> DVB-S version is so much different. Or am I wrong and is the CI not
>> supported because it requires a lot of reverse engineering nobody feels
>> like doing for this card?
>
> Maybe it is not supported because the driver developer did not have the
> hardware to play with...
>
>> Is there anything I could try?
>
> If you have some programming skills you could try to debug budget-av.c
> and try to find out what's going wrong...
>
> CU
> Oliver

I put the card back in my machine (I was also trying a TT S-1500 but I
guess that's broken or something), praying the KNC1 would at least give
me some clue. And it did, dmesg shows an infinite loop when a CAM is
inserted:

[  327.100000] budget-av: cam inserted A
[  327.356000] budget-av: cam ejected 5
[  327.456000] budget-av: cam inserted A
[  327.712000] budget-av: cam ejected 5
[  327.812000] budget-av: cam inserted A
[  328.068000] budget-av: cam ejected 5
[  328.168000] budget-av: cam inserted A

Goes on all the time. When I get the card out of the cineview (fysical),
it stops.

More stuff I figured out: the ca is not "open" and times out. I tried
simply commenting out all the "if" thingies that can eject the CAM
(because after commenting out ejected 5 that means CA not open, it would
just give me ejected 1 that means -ETIMEDOUT). Now I got "dvb_ca adaptor
0: PC card did not respond :(" after trying to watch.

My personal guess is the KNC1 needs more time to initialize. I'll look
at it some more, but I'm not sure I can figure it out all by myself, so
if anybody can tell me some more...

By the way, I'm not really a programmer, but I can do a little PHP and
this looks somewhat similar :P.

Tia,

P.