Re: some suggestions, and questions, regarding the dvb-apps package

CityK wrote:
> I'm not sure who is maintaining it (Andrew, Marcel, Christoph, Manu),
> but I figured I'd provide a few suggestions that I think would help
> further tidy up the dvb-apps package.

People give it a shot, depending on free time and interests. Johannes
used to maintain it originally, maintained additionally by the people
whom you have said above.

> 1) README file, topmost directory
>
> a) Change the comment "Various testing applications also live in test" to:
>
> Some misc. testing applications:
> test/README   - Provides an overview of the various small test/sample
> programs residing in the test directory
>
> b) Remove the following text given that the include files are, er, no
> longer included:
>
> "For convenience, dvb-apps contains a copy of the DVB API include
> files as they are contained in the linuxtv-dvb-1.? release
> and the 2.6.x Linux kernel."

Uh oh. trampled again on that. Since we don't have the headers we can
remove that line in the README as well.
But there is high chance that we might need them back, with regards to
API changes for new delivery systems.

We will need another release, but of course there are imminent pending
changes, which are held up due to some reason or the other. A newer
release can go hand in hand alongwith that, else we would need another
release alongwith those changes again.

> 2) Given the (historical and contextual) information on the zap
> utilities recently provided by Manu & Johannes, can the util/zap and the
> util/szap directories be combined into one (util/zap) ?

Currently, the historical stuff is held in util/szap and the newer
zapper is in util/zap
If we were to merge in szap directory alongwith the zap directory , that
would cause some additional confusion ?

> a) a quick rewrite of the current util/szap/README file could elucidate
> the contextual and historical info Manu & Johannes just provided ---
> which, btw, goes an extremely along way in explaining (especially for
> the "newbie") why there are so many zap variations

Sure.

> b) the README file, in the topmost directory, should have the line
> "util/zap    - *Just* tunes a digital device - really intended for
> developers" slightly modified to allude to the various zap tuning utils
> contained within the package
>
> 3) lib/libdvbapi
>
> a) requires a README file which, at the very least, alludes to what the
> current version of the api is .... either that or change the directory
> name to indicate this (i.e. lib/libdvbapi2.0)

libdvbapi2.0 ? currently it is just at version 1. We have not made an
official release on it yet.

> b) the README file, in the topmost directory -- might want to do
> likewise in regards to api version number in the line "lib/libdvbapi
> - Interface library to digital TV devices."
>
> 4) util/scan vs util/dvbscan
>
> a) Like the zap utilities, this is surely another spot of confusion for
> most unenlightened folks.  What's the story here again ? (I say again,
> because I know there has been some discussion (here and there) about
> these two, but I forget when and where and what conclusions, if any,
> were drawn).

scan is the original historical one (IIRC, Holger wrote it). There are
many issues that which pertains to it. adq started up to fix it by
writing a new dvbscan, which was not completed yet, AFAIK. ie, some more
work is needed in there.

> b) the util/scan/README file looks like it could really use an overhaul
> ... especially given that, despite being in the "scan" directory,  it
> refers to "dvbscan" and "atscscan" apps

Sure, can you give it a shot ?

> c) the README file, in the topmost directory, should have some sort of
> reference as to what distinguishes the two (scan vs. dvbscan
>
> d) like the question regarding the zap utils, can the scan utils not be
> merged into a single directory?

executables such as dvbscan atscscan and scan in one directory might
make it look a bit confusing ?

i think of something better, once dvbscan is complete, we can move szap
and scan into another folder than the top level one, such that they too
do exist (as i mentioned earlier, these apps are good for quick hacks)
rather than completely removing them.

Thanks,
Manu