Re: question about the zap utilities ,,, why so many?

Am Sonntag, 3. Juni 2007 21:52 schrieb Johannes Stezenbach:
> On Sun, Jun 03, 2007, CityK wrote:
> > So there is:
> > - zap ... intended for developers
> > - azap ... for ATSC and N.A dig. cable (STCE 07)
> > - czap ... for DVB-C
> > - szap ... for DVB-S
> > - szap2 ... for DVB-S2
> > - tzap ... for DVB-T
> >
> > Is there any technical reason why these 6 utilities aren't blended
> > together into a __single__ comprehensive tuning app ... say, "zaptune"
> > or whatever, for example?
>
> Well, I wrote szap at a time when the DVB API only supported DVB-S
> (for the first generation av7110 based Siemens/Technotrend/Hauppauge
> DVB-S cards), because I needed it for my work at convergence integrated
> media GmbH. The S in szap was supposed to mean "simple". It started
> as a really tiny testing tool.
>
> Later Holger added tzap and czap. Needless to say that I would've
> integrated T and S support into szap right from the start, but there
> was nothing I could do about it.
>
> So there's no technical reason, it's just a historical artefact.

Sounds interesting, Johannes :)

Fact is for now:
If you run szap with four or five repetitions you get four or five different
results:

1. Quantity and / or contents of the result file channels.conf
2. Lots of invalid channels (i. e. without a valid name)
3. Wrong outputs of VPIDS and / or APIDS
4. Wrong outputs of FTA / CA channels

My questions are:
1. Are those faults at least somewhere on a TODO list?
2. If yes, who takes care of them / fixes them?

Best Regards

Uwe