Re: Push AF9005 driver to main repo?

Mauro Carvalho Chehab wrote:
Em Qui, 2007-05-03 às 13:55 +0200, Markus Rechberger escreveu:

Is there anything against it?

Markus

On 5/1/07, P. van Gaans <w3ird_n3rd@xxxxxxx> wrote:

I managed to screw up my message for a second time so I'll just write a
whole new message. Would it be possible to push the AF9005 drvier from
/hg/~manu/af9005 to the main repo? I'm not sure Luca's line in his reply
to me will get noticed so I thought this deserved a whole new message.

For me, it is ok, providing that Luca or Manu send us a pull request.

I've did a really quick look at his patch. There are some CodingStyle
issues that should be fixed, like hexadecimal values using uppercase. At
the pull request, I'll take a closer look at the patch, before adding my
SOB.

Most CodingStyle issues can easily by running a really small script,
available at scripts/Lindent at the kernel tree. The script content is:

	#!/bin/sh
	indent -npro -kr -i8 -ts8 -sob -l80 -ss -ncs "$@"

(of course, you need to have the indent package installed at the local
machine)

It is interesting also to mark newer drivers as EXPERIMENTAL for one or
two kernel releases.

If AF9005 is intended to be added on kernel 2.6.22, this should be done
ASAP, since the merge window is closing. Otherwise, if the driver is not
stable enough, the better is to wait to the end of the window, then add
it to the tree. I prefer the last option.

For what it's worth (assuming you mean system stability with "stable"), the only issue I had was I couldn't scan much channels (many were ignored but not all) with Kaffeine (but I could with scan), and possibly that is solved when I get a stronger signal. When just watching reception with the AF9005 seems to be more stable (less hickups and blocks) than reception with a new revision MSI Mega Sky 580, maybe due to tuner sensitivity, but the AF9005 isn't known for being very sensitive. Probably more important is that I didn't have a single system crash with the driver.