possible afatech af9005 bug

Yes, I'm back with my cheapass USB DVB-T stick. I recently bought a MSI Mega Sky 580 (found one at the back of the shelves) because the afatech didn't seem to be working very well.

After some playing with the Mega Sky (it works), I plugged back in the Allnet all2006 aka Afatech af9005. Now comes the surprise: some pretty weak channels (transmitter 50km away) work pretty well, with only a few blocks here and there (still definitely watchable). BUT: that is with the channellist I made with the MSI stick. Also the Belgium channels (30km away) now work, and they work almost flawless! (few blocks here as well) and the last interesting FTA location here, Goes, 27km away, works too. This stick isn't that bad at all! Okay, the MSI seems to be better (no blocks I think instead of a few), but for the money the Afatech is reasonable. Earlier I just wasn't able to get any channel into my channellist, so I thought the tuner was extremely unsensitive and couldn't test any channel actually playing. But if you test the channels themselves instead of scanning for them, the channels themself work.

Actually getting a channellist (with Kaffeine) for these channels, is still impossible with the Afatech, and I think that could be a bug. See: on the frequencies I scan, I do get frequency lists, so the stick sees something. The LED also says it's locking. And if I use a frequency list made with another DVB-T device, these channels often work mostly fine. It's still not the most sensitive tuner, but now that the channels are actually playing prove to me that at least it works.

So the bug is: you can't scan for channels with the stick. Well, hardly ever. On some specific frequency I do get results with the Afatech while scanning, but that's just one frequency filled with mostly (worthless) encrypted channels. With the MSI this is no problem, and if I use the channellist from the MSI on the Afatech it also works as expected. Only scanning with the Afatech itself somehow won't work properly.

My Kaffeine version btw is 0.7.1 (will upgrade soon, Ubuntu 6.06), but I feel it shouldn't really matter that much, but to be complete.