Re: scan file for de-Kabel_BW

Hi,

[Hartmut, the part for you is at the bottom]

Am Montag, 16. April 2007 04:37 schrieb Dirk Ritter:
> Hello! :-)
>
> Am 2007.04.15 11:57 schrieb(en) Christoph Pfister:
>
> [ on mostly automatic scans ]
>
> > This procedure is specified by the dvb standard.
>
> So - where would I find those specifications?

For this issue EN 300 468 (a 1.1 mb pdf file) is relevant - the information
about the other transponders is in the so called NIT (network information
table). That table is part of the "service information", which is broadcasted
beside the actual audio, video, teletext, epg etc data and provides
information about the content of the transmitted data and about the network.

> > The scan apps are supposed to support that.
> > The problem in practice is morely that the
> > information transmitted by the broadcaster
> > isn't correct or complete; but doesn't seem
> > to be the case here ...
>
> Speaks for Kabel BW. ;-)
>
> > > a) have only one such scanfile for Kabel BW,
> > >     using the lowest frequency all three Kabel
> > >     BW network regions have in common
> > > b) have only one initial line for scanning
> >
> > Agreed, will commit that soon.
>
> Great. :-)
>
> > > c) document it somewhere how complete channel
> > >     listings are just a waste of time as well
> > >     as error-prone
> >
> > Hmm ... maybe an entry in the dvb wiki? Other
> > than that I can't see a place for this (except
> > me complaining on the mailing list if you have
> > too much freqs ;)
>
> So far the Wiki Docs assume you find a scanfile
> that matches your data source.
> So far only insufficient information is provided
> (if at all) on how scanfiles are supposed to be
> made and even after browsing dvbutils sources I
> am still rather clueless about the dubious "fec"
> field. Explanations on what the modulation options
> are and such would probably be nice as well, but
> sources and Wikipedia do at least help with that,
> i.e. QAMxx and such. A non-mailing list address
> as a contact for such scanlists would be nice as
> well, I think. ;-)

FEC is forward error correction. The transmitter can choose different levels
of redundancy. A bigger redundancy means that data errors are less likely,
but also less data is transmitted.

> > Great that this is solved now and thanks a lot
> > for your answers :)
>
> The good thing about getting it upstream: I will
> get it back by means of "apt-get dist-upgrade". :-)
>
> BTW - can you forward it to the Kaffeine folks
> as well? Would be nice to see it spread... ;-)
>
> Random side note:
> I'm using the KNC-One with the TDA10023 tuner which
> requires a patch. I applied it to a stock 2.6.20
> kernel without much difficulty. Probably the success
> with a scan based on a single frequency line is
> good news for this driver...

Hmm, actually the part I-can-watch-TV-like-a-charm seems to be missing (but I
think that's kinda implied ;-) ... added him to CC - guess he also likes to
get success stories and not only bug reports ... :-)

> http://www.linuxtv.org/pipermail/linux-dvb/2007-February/016291.html
>
> Kind Regards,
> Dirk

Christoph