Re: Twinhan vp7045, fighting for a lost cause ?

Perfect,

I`m currently writing a parser in perl that converts the new firmware that ´ve extracted from the windows file
to the "same" format that is used in the old vp7045 card.
I´ve enhanced the dvb_usb_get_firmware.pl to download and extract the new vp7045 firmware from the windows driver, but either the load code needs to be rewritten or the firmware reformatted, both will probably work but I don´t know wich one is the best way to go.
The new stick has a lowpower version of the FX2 usb controller, so the current loader "should" work, but I think it needs to load the firmware
in chunks of 64 bytes (this is how windows does it) instead of one 8192 byte chunk as the current formatting tells windows  (this is why I´m converting the firmware, to verify this theory).

"Based on usb snoop data, I was able to write a patch to the dvb-usb code
so it could distinguish between the two devices. That was as far as I
got. I don't know of anyone else who has gone any further."

That patch would be very very good for me.

Any information you can supply me with is greatly appriciated.
Also do the old cards work with the new firmware ?

If or when we get a firmware on the stick do  we need to attach another modified frontend to handle the  TDA10046 or will that
be the end it ?

/Henrik

On 4/13/07, Chris Wylie <linux-dvb@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Henrik Beckman wrote:

> I´m prepared to pour more time into this, but I´d like to know

Henrik,

I have just read all of your posts. I have one of these devices and the
same problems. In fact I have a pair of vp7045 tuners, one with the
mt352 and one with the tda10046 (very useful to make comparisons). I
tried to make it work last year. I got some good information but no
solution and had to put the project aside due to lack of time and expertise.

Here is what I know.

The vp7045 with tda10046 needs a firmware download that the current
dvb-usb code does not know about. Patrick Boettcher
<patrick.boettcher@xxxxxxx> knows the existing vp7045 code and was able
to assist by getting some limited information from TwinHan. We also
exchanged some emails with Stewart Smith <stewart@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> who
also has one of these devices.

The firmware can be extracted from the available Windows driver files. I
think I wrote a script to do this.

Based on usb snoop data, I was able to write a patch to the dvb-usb code
so it could distinguish between the two devices. That was as far as I
got. I don't know of anyone else who has gone any further.

The next step would be to write the code to download the new firmware to
the device. My understanding of the existing code base was too limited
to be able to write this in a reasonable amount of time.

I wish I had more time and skills for this but perhaps you can make some
headway. You can have my code patch if it helps.

Regards,

Chris