Re: DVB-H and dvbnet / MAC-broadcast address

Hi Nico,

On 3/30/07, Nico Sabbi <nsabbi@xxxxxxxx> wrote:
(..) run
$ ifconfig dvb0_0 ip/mask promisc up
$ route add -net 224.0.0.0/4 dev dvb0_0
you shouldn't need to tamper with the MAC addresses.

Thank you, with your help I finally succeeded.

My idea to hack the destination address was not needed, it is fine to configure the interface to promiscous mode (option promisc ifconfig) as you suggested. I also learned that an outgoing route can have a specific meaning for incoming multicast traffic.

But: After doing all this I could still not receive anything. It seems that some (I still do not know which) kernel-options have to be set. At least I could not decode anything with vlc when running on Knoppix 5.2 (a livecd based on Debian) but I succeeded with Fedora 6 (Kernel 2.6.20.1). I also did a short test with a Gentoo live-CD, but that distribution did not even detect the USB-stick, so did no go ahead with it.

Any idea which kernel-options are needed? My guess is that some multicast-routing options or protocols would be required but are not set by default on some distributions.

The current status is: I am able to receive DVB-H, all channels from the ongoing Vienna trial are in clear, so I can now receive ORF1,ORF2,ATV,ORF-Mobil,MTV,H3G1(aka 3Live), H3G2 (aka Urban TV) and the radio channels FM4, OE2W and OE3.
There are a number decoding errors with interrupt the video/audio periodically, I am not sure if this is due to my weak signal, some problems in vlc or even problems on the encoder side.
From time to time reception locks up (especially when I zap aroung by removing and adding the network interface attaching it to different PIDs), and for some reason I only stay locked when tzap is running, when it is stopped the USB stick looses lock after a few seconds.
If I can find a more stable solution I would now like to record and/or stream the multicast streams on my local network so that I could receive all the channels an any PC. But for the time being I'm not that far.

I've posted a short howto on my blog, just in case someone else is interested in receiving DVB-H:

https://www.zlabinger.at/blog/2007/04/02/howto-receive-dvb-h-in-vienna

Dietmar