Adjusting drivers for slow CPUs - buffer overruns suspected

I am wondering if there are ways to adjust the DVB drivers to suit a slow CPU.

The background is that I have two Technisat SkyStar2 DVB-S cards in a PIII 550MHz PC. If I try to record an entire transport stream the recording suffers from drops and gaps, something which doesn't happen when recording one video and audio PID, presumably because their five hardware PID filters are doing the hard work.

Before upgrading to the 2.6 kernel (ages ago) the same PC would happily record an entire transport stream concurrently on each card without any data loss, so it doesn't seem as if the PC is fundamentally running out of steam. Something changed in the DVB drivers for the 2.6 kernel which started causing problems it seems.

Now I've added a Twinhan VP-1025, which has no hardware filters at all apparently, I'm getting data drops whether I record an entire transport stream or just one audio and video PID, I guess because the filtering is done in the CPU.

So I'm wondering if there are tweaks which I can make to the DVB drivers, maybe to increase buffer sizes, or some other adjustment, to try to stop these drops happening.

Any ideas?