re: Please see if you can help: Twinhan VP 1025 DVB-S PCI Card

(original post: http://www.linuxtv.org/pipermail/linux-dvb/2006- August/012188.html)

Dave,

I had the exact same problem. First the card would be recognised but wouldn't appear in /dev/dvb (solved by following/adapting instructions here: http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?p=1777028), then once it did have device nodes it wouldn't tune.

This was solved by coldstarting, booting into Windows and using Twinhan's software to tune the card. It was then warm booted into Kubuntu Dapper and the card now worked. Previously dvbsnoop -s feinfo showed this:

Basic capabilities:
    Name: "DST DVB-S"
    Frontend-type:       QPSK (DVB-S)
    Frequency (min):     950.000 MHz
    Frequency (max):     2150.000 MHz
    Frequency stepsiz:   1.000 MHz
    Frequency tolerance: 29500
    Symbol rate (min):     1.000000 MSym/s
    Symbol rate (max):     45.000000 MSym/s
    Symbol rate tolerance: 0 ppm
    Notifier delay: 0 ms
    Frontend capabilities:
        auto inversion
        FEC AUTO
        QPSK

Current parameters:
    Frequency:  0.000 MHz
    Inversion:  AUTO
    Symbol rate:  22.000000 MSym/s
    FEC:  FEC AUTO

then after the trick using Twinhan's Windows software it showed this:

Basic capabilities:
    Name: "DST DVB-S"
    Frontend-type:       QPSK (DVB-S)
    Frequency (min):     950.000 MHz
    Frequency (max):     2150.000 MHz
    Frequency stepsiz:   1.000 MHz
    Frequency tolerance: 29500
    Symbol rate (min):     1.000000 MSym/s
    Symbol rate (max):     45.000000 MSym/s
    Symbol rate tolerance: 0 ppm
    Notifier delay: 0 ms
    Frontend capabilities:
        auto inversion
        FEC AUTO
        QPSK

Current parameters:
    Frequency:  1053.000 MHz
    Inversion:  OFF
    Symbol rate:  22.000000 MSym/s
    FEC:  FEC AUTO

Then it worked fine - note the frequency no longer is "0.000 MHz", however it does return to 0 after a cold boot but the card still works fine.

So it looks like the card needs to be used from Windows first, the only problem I have left now is a race condition between the Twinhan and a Terratec USB DVB-T receiver as to which gets to be device 0 - it changes between each boot.

HTH,

Tim.

Hi list,
I've been struggling with this for awhile now and I'm in need of some
insight. The problem seems to be that the front end is unable to tune to or
monitor a signal.  Here is some background info:

Card:
Twinhan 1025 VisionPlus PCI DVB-S
Kernel/Dist:
2.6.17.8, Debian testing.
I just used hg to download the latest v4l-dvb and dvb-apps from Mercurial and everything compiled and installed fine. The drivers all modprobe fine.
I modpobe in this order:
dvb-core
bttv
dvb-bt8xx