Re: How does bad reception influence quality of macroblocks?

> You will lose one or more TS packets (188bytes) if RS decoder (or some
> other step before that) cannot fully recover the packet. Those packets
> are usually marked with 'transport error indicator' flag, and mpeg
> decoder skips them, or perhaps blindly tries to decode data in them.
> Usually results in ugly crap across the screen in a particular section
> that was ruined, even if it was only a single TS packet that was
> affected.
>
> -t

Thanks  for  Your  reply.  After  reading some docs about mpeg-TS I still have
difficulties to realize the effects of loosing TS packets to  the  macroblocks
(16x16 pixels) of the mpeg-2 video. Is there at least one full macroblock in a
TS packet?

I never dealt with mpeg2 on the "macroblock" level in TS, but as you
probably read, a single mpeg "frame" will span several TS packets.

To put my question in other words:
If my dvb-t device doesn't get the  full  stream  will  this  always  lead  to
missing  macroblocks  or  can  it  yield  less  obvious  loss of quality (like
unsharpness)?

Losing a single TS packet, in HD, and especially in SD broadcast will
not lead to "unsharpness", you will receive visible ruined image
artifacts, which usually look like inverted/green/or otherwise random
stream of blocks after the missed packet, as mpeg decoder resyncs to
try to decode.

Does the type of device influence the qualtity of the recieved stream? (Why do
devices differ in prices so much?)
The only difference would be a more sensitive tuner.
If your C/N ratio is high, BER is low/or zero, and no continuity
errors in the stream, you're getting everything at full quality.

If the signal 'isn't perfect' you will get ugly dropouts/noise as
described above.