Re: af9005, remote with lircd

Luca Olivetti wrote:
Hi,

I looked at the other usb drivers and all of them get a decoded key from the adapter, so they just map the code to a keypress and put it in the input device.
OTOH the af9005 doesn't decode the ir data, it just gives the length of the spaces/pulses. I decode them in software (with the codes of the remote that came with the stick) to do the same that the other drivers are doing (i.e. emulate a keyboard).
Now I wrote another rather simple module that just passes on the raw data as a lirc device for lircd to decode, so in theory it should work with any remote.
It seems to work fairly well (I tried with a lircd.conf that I'm using with lirc_serial and recording the "stock" remote with irrecord).
The problem is that it needs lirc, which isn't included in the stock kernel, so I don't know if it can be integrated in the linux-dvb driver.
Comments, opinions?

Bye
Hi Luca,
I _love_ the sound of that. Hopefully the AF9015 I've got does the same thing, because that would be ideal for me.
The remote that came with my dongle is  a pathetic little thing, which renders the remote functionality of the dongle useless, unless it can be used as a generic lirc device which would mean I no longer need a separate serial lirc receiver.
I personally feel that letting lirc do what it's good at is a much better way to set up drivers/system if at all possible, especially as it gives flexibility to use whatever remote you like.
It really isn't a problem that you need lirc, as most of the time you use it anyway for remotes. Even when the remote gives a /dev/input keyboard like functionality it's common to use lirc to then set up the keys how you want.

Andrew Leech

This message and any attachments may be confidential.
Please notify the sender immediately if you received this message in error.
Please do not delete or alter this notice.