Re: Nova-T 500 Dual DVB-T Oops

Chris Johns wrote:

I am looking into the kernel oops I was getting. It is the same problem I posted here:

http://www.linuxtv.org/pipermail/linux-dvb/2006-December/015009.html

Had the same problem with my Hauppauge Nova-T 500 Dual DVB-T...

Upgraded to the latest FC5 kernel and have switched to a single processor kernel to simplify debugging.

I attach a cleaner couple of oops. It starts with the USB disconnects then a couple of I2C writes which fail as they are not I2C but USB writes then the oops. The first is in 'dvb_dmxdev_buffer_read'. The second oops is in 'dvb_demux_release'. Looking in the specifics of the code the mutex is claimed in release but no in the read. I attach a patch that uncomments the mutex code in the read and also adds the same to the poll function. With this change I have not seen any driver problems for the last couple of days and the USB does not disconnect.

...and I were just about to test your patch when I saw that 2.6.20-rc4 were out and that they fixed a couple of things with usb and i2c so I gave it a shot (without your patch) and the oops I had before seems to be gone (and I really stressed the card, zapping like crazy and recorded 5 or 6 channels at the same time).

/Richard