receiving on a server and broadcasting to machines?

Not sure, if this is the right mailinglist, but I give it try. Its less a technical than a general question about linux and dvb. If the topic is not appropriate on this list I would be happy if anyone could point me to a more suiteable location.

I want to to be able to watch TV on two of my laptops (maybe different people looking different channels at the same time) So instead of buying two expensive USB-DVB-cards, I was thinking about buying one cheaper PCI-card and put it into the local server and then broadcast all the channels over the intranet. I've seen such a broadcast-option in my player Kaffeine.

So now I dont have much idea what this would mean for the cpu-load and the network-load. If broadcast means that the server reads all channels simultanously and send them over the network then the server and network would break down within seconds I guess.

If it means that a client can connect to the server and request a certain channel and then this channel is transmitted over the network then I would probably be ok !?

The clients are connected via WLAN to the server and 20 MBit is a realistic transfer-rate that is achieved all over the covered area.

I dont have any clue how much bandwith a dvb-stream needs and if the server "broadcasts" the original dvb-stream or an encoded version or whatever.

I dont even know if the client then has all abilities that dvb brings : like stopping the TV and continue lateron - using programpreview and so on.

The server is a old 500MHz-Celeron with 512MB which is more than enough for a SOHO-fileserver but maybe not for dvb-server!? On the other hand : I dont want to watch TV on that server. It should just distribute the signal.

any help, hints, insights highly appretiated,
thnx,
peter