Re: dbv-t Conditional Access Module

Hi,
On Sun, Dec 24, 2006 at 01:40:55AM +0100, Michael Pihlblad wrote:
> I am thinking maybe it is possible to use a pcmcia to pci adapter card and
> stick the CAM module in that?

sorry to disappoint you, but at least with the "regular" pcmcia to pci
adapters this won`t work.
Although the physical dimensions are the same and you can get a DVB
common access module to be recognized in a pcmcia slot, it is not possible
to route the transport stream through a module with regular pcmcia hardware.
The pins used are the same as for the 16-bit part of pcmcia, but the
protocol is completely different.

However, there are definitely DVB-T PCI cards available that have a
connection for a CI daughter board - I have a KNC1 board that is built
in such a way, and I remember to have seen other manufacturers too.

Recently there was a news article stating that Hauppauge builds a special
hardware solution to connect a CI module to the USB (sorry, german language):
http://www.heise.de/newsticker/result.xhtml?url=/newsticker/meldung/77874
but I could not find this product on the hauppauge pages, and I doubt there
are (and will be) linux drivers available.

Maybe someone else can give a comment if this hauppauge thing really hit the
market, or there are any specs available.

Regards,
Wolfgang