Re: [discussion] Frontend capable of reporting and supporting supported diseqc version

>>> If you look on the technotrend webshop site for their TT-premium®
>>> S-2300
>>> card
> [...]
>>>
>>> A friend of mine has a hauppauge Nexus-s where only in the pfd manual
>>> it
>>> was described only capable of diseqc 1.0 (on the box was nothing
>>> mentioned). This card is maybe from before the diseqc 1.2/2.x specs.

>>> If I look trough the different frontend sources for their
>>> diseqc_send_master_cmd I can see the following:
>>>
>>> The stv0299 does return an error depending if it was not able to write
>>> the
>>> diseqc command byte or had a timeout writing. As far as I can see the
>>> problem of the error does not tell if the diseqc command bytes were not
>>> supported.
>>> The cx24110 always return 0 only when the amount of diseqc command
>>> bytes
>>> <
>>> 3 or > 6 then return -EINVAL
>>> The MT312 does the same as the stv0299.
>>
>> The MT312, according to the specs,
>>
>> Full DiSEqC™ v2.2 is provided for both writing and reading DiSEqC™
>> messages. Storage in registers for up to
>> eight data bytes sent and eight data bytes received is provided.
>>

> As far as I can see the MT312 does not have the diseqc_recv_slave_reply
> call back function set so the driver can never be queried for the diseqc
> 2.x reply.
>
> The only frontend with sets diseqc_recv_slave_reply call back function is
> the s5h1420.
>
>>> The mb86a16 does handle errors but blames them all on "I2C transfer
>>> error".
>>

>> In the case of the MB86A16, the device supports all diseqc 1.x levels
>>
>> The highlighted features are like this ..
>>
>> ▪ DVB-S (SCPC) and DSS compatible
>> ▪ No external inductors and variable capacitance diodes required
>> ▪ No 30V power supply for tuning required. (Supply voltage : +5V, +3.3V
>> and +2.5V)
>> ▪ Input frequency range : 950MHz to 2150MHz
>> ▪ Input signal level per channel : typ. -75dBm to -10dBm
>> ▪ Symbol rates : 1Mbaud to 45 Mbaud
>> ▪ Carrier capture range : ±5MHz
>> ▪ IQ automatic detection
>> ▪ Automatic detection of Viterbi code rate R=1/2, 2/3, 3/4, 5/6, 7/8(for
>> DVB)
>> ▪ I2C bus interface
>> ▪ DiSEqCTM 1.x compatible
>> ▪ Built-in carrier frequency offset monitor (via I2C bus interface)
>>

>> In such a case all errors are considered to be communication errors, ie
>> I2C transfer error, because all "1x" operations are supported.
>>
>> Diseqc 2x IOCTL will return an error in this case, not I2C error.
>> Depending on the error returned, you can know what caused it to fail,
>> whether it is unsupported or a failed operation.
>>

> Is this true because normally for a diseqc 2.x command you would first
> send a FE_DISEQC_SEND_MASTER_CMD ioctl with the diseqc command bytes and
> then a FE_DISEQC_RECV_SLAVE_REPLY ioctl to read the reply. The
> FE_DISEQC_SEND_MASTER_CMD might return without an error and the
> FE_DISEQC_RECV_SLAVE_REPLY would return -EOPNOTSUPP.

I have to correct myself the only diseqc level 2.2 command in spec if
diseqc command 64 and it will return 1 byte where the bits state the
different status values.

Should the FE_DISEQC_RECV_SLAVE_REPLY be used for this?