Re: PATCH: 2 patches against current Mercurial tree

-------- Original-Nachricht --------
Datum: Wed, 29 Nov 2006 14:52:33 +0100
Von: "Christoph Pfister" <christophpfister@xxxxxxxxx>
An: uwe.bugla@xxxxxx
Betreff: Re:  PATCH: 2 patches against current Mercurial tree

> Hi,
>
> 2006/11/27, Uwe Bugla <uwe.bugla@xxxxxx>:
> >
> > -------- Original-Nachricht --------
> > Datum: Fri, 24 Nov 2006 21:08:49 +0400
> > Von: Manu Abraham <abraham.manu@xxxxxxxxx>
> > An: Uwe Bugla <uwe.bugla@xxxxxx>
> > Betreff: Re:  PATCH: 2 patches against current Mercurial tree

> Chehab in
> > > the last few days! Well Done, guys!
> Sat.
> not
> > > necessary for this card to function well.
> > >

> > > Have you ever taken a look at how much RAM is wasted by the modules in
> > > (media/video) media/video/bt8xx ?
> > Should I have done so? Fact is I waste 38 kB of Ram with two completely
> senseless DST modules being compiled and loaded into RAM although I do not
> need them at all!
>
> 1) with a 2.6.17+ kernel they aren't loaded (check modinfo dvb-bt8xx)
> so you can simply remove / not install those modules
>
> 2) you should look at bttv and its deps because it even takes 175kb
> [1] compared to cx878-core which takes 13 kb currently (will stay
> below 20kb even in a final version i think)
>
> > > What you loose here is nothing in comparison to that. Most of the
> > > hopelessness in DVB stuff comes because of hopeless dependencies in
> V4L.
> > > (just count how many hopeless V4L modules are loaded)
> > >
> > > If you keep quiet
> > Will you please leave it up to me personally when I need to keep quiet
> or not?
> >  and try to help, you will see better drivers, to have
> > > a sneak preview you can look here which will avoid using the
> > > media/video/foobar and all nonsense.
> > >
> > > http://thadathil.net:8000/cgi-bin/hgwebdir.cgi/cx878_3
> > >

> > > So try to cooperate, by testing that tree, eventhough work is going
> on.
> > > Might be incomplete for the time being.
> > How do I have to imply that tree? Just copy the modules in the kernel
> tree?
> > Or how?
> > Thanks!
>
> Copy the tree into v4l-dvb and adjust the makefiles ...
Hi everybody,
Lots of thanks, Christoph!
If Manu's answering quality would be equivalent to yours that would be a big win for us all, wouldn't it?
In fact I copied the tree into main vanilla. The experience after adjusting
some things was utmost horrible because I suffered unknown symbols and other errors. So I just should have known that mercurial tree is the base to copy that stuff in. Would have saved me lots of hours and nerves.....
I promised to help and I will do everything I can. Hope you can win some other people for at least testing by that mail.
And I hope that this stuff will at least compile cleanly with mercurial /HG as base. Let us see what happens.
This is a little "sneak preview" of what I got out trying to imply this stuff into vanilla 2.6.19-rc6-mm1:
cx878_budget: module license 'unspecified' taints kernel.
cx878_budget: Unknown symbol cx878_pci_exit
cx878_budget: Unknown symbol cx878_dvb_init
cx878_budget: Unknown symbol cx878_dma_init
cx878_budget: Unknown symbol cx878_dma_stop
cx878_budget: Unknown symbol cx878_write_gpio
cx878_budget: Unknown symbol cx878_gpio_enable
cx878_budget: Unknown symbol cx878_pci_init
cx878_budget: Unknown symbol cx878_dma_exit
cx878_budget: Unknown symbol cx878_dvb_exit

PLUS: I hope that your new concept implies the fact that my card does not need dvb-pll.c. Michael Krufky definitely did do a great job!

Uwe