Re: newbie question (tzap, cat, mplayer, dvb://)

José Oliver Segura wrote:

     Hi all,

     just a silly question regarding getting streams with tzap/cat
and how to use them to feed a player:

     Trying to make work 100% my Hauppauge wintv nova-t stick (4th
usb stick I'm trying with linux, but this seems to work OK), I've
found that some of the low-level examples/tests in the wiki fail for
me for some of the channels I have in my channels.conf.

      Test 1:
         tzap -r "TVE 1"
         cat /dev/dvb/adapter0/dvr0 > /tmp/tv.mpeg
         mplayer /tmp/tv.mpeg

         --> Works for some channels, doesn't work for others
(pixels, glitches, bad audio, etc.)
         [Just for testing -not related with dvb, but with
dvb+mplayer integration- I've tried with cat to a file, cat to named
pipe and directly with mplayer /dev/dvb/... , with the same results]

maybe due to bad reception

      Test 2:
         mplayer "dvb://TVE 1"

         --> Works but, for some channels (the same that don't work
with Test 1, sometimes, it  doesn't work the first time [mplayer
complains about a read error, ^c and launch again and 90% of the time
it gets OK... maybe something related to tunning timeouts/issues?])

maybe. I hope I won't have to increase the timeout to +INF :(

        So, the question is (I guess the answer is obvious at this
point): the mpeg stream that one gets from dvr0 cannot be passed to
mplayer?

uhm, if not how are you supposed to play it? :)
how do you believe that mplayer plays dvb:// streams?

depends on the channel? maybe depends of what information(s)
that channel is sending? (epg, subtitles, multiple audio?) depends on
the signal?

broken streams will lead to broken playback, as is to be expected

         I've tried those examples (zap/cat) since they appear in the
wiki as simple test tools, but maybe I'm assuming too much?

no

Should I
use other tools like dvbrecord (I've just discovered it)? Or thinking
about a "simple pvr" only with "simple filters ala *nix style" in this
case [dvb, TS/PS, etc.] is not possible?

it _is_ possible, provided that the drivers provide a stream as little damaged as possible. BTW, tzap+cat or dvbstream are the most reliable way to get your "simple pvr" working