Re: Medion SAA7134 and DVB-S - How?

Hi,

Am Dienstag, den 07.11.2006, 20:21 +0000 schrieb Chris Winger:
> hermann pitton schrieb:
> > Hi!
> >
> > Am Dienstag, den 07.11.2006, 00:35 +0100 schrieb Hartmut Hackmann:
> >
> >> Hi
> >>
> >> Chris Winger wrote:
> >>

> > [...]
> >>>

> >> TDA10046 is the channel decoder which is the "center of the frontend": Thats
> >> correct.

> >> Hm, does anybody know which channel decoder and tuner are used in the DVB-S
> >> section?
> >>

> > Remember, we had this one on the video4linux-list.
> >
> > It has a conventional DVB-S can tuner, likely covered by dvb-pll or easy
> > to add, at least all questions were asked.
> >
> > The problem was the not yet supported tda10086 channel decoder.
> >
> > This has changed and also no problems with the dual PCI bridge are
> > expected, except Mike took care to disable it ;)
> >
> > Should be worth to dig it out.
> >
> > Cheers,
> > Hermann

> Hi,
> Are you referring to this thread?
> https://www.redhat.com/mailman/private/video4linux-list/2006-August/msg00386.html
> Just for clarification: My card is part of the Medion MD8386 PC, it's
> not the MD8800 Quad card.

no,
I'm referring to Serdar Dere and the Medion CTX925_V.1 DVB-T/TV/DVB-S
http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?l=linux-video&m=112033921222922&w=2

> I also found this:
> http://kernel.org/pub/linux/kernel/people/akpm/patches/2.6/2.6.18-rc7/2.6.18-rc7-mm1/broken-out/git-dvb.patch
>
> but honestly I don't know how to aply that...

There are no patches yet, neither for the Medion Quad nor for your card
to get DVB-S working, but the components are likely supported.

In your case there are two saa7134 PCI bridges, which behave like two
seperate PCI cards in the special blue PCI slot.

The 16be:0005 bridge is assumed to handle DVB-S and has a tda10086ht
channel decoder and Andrew recently wrote support for it.

Your DVB-S tuner is labeled as SD1878/SHA. Should be the same like here.
http://www.knc1.com/img/presse_big/karte_tv_star_dvb_s.jpg

And there were these patches recently to support it.
http://www.linuxtv.org/pipermail/linux-dvb/2006-January/007511.html

So this looks not bad, but maybe Hartmut can explain a little, what are
the difficulties with two PCI bridges and two frontends.

Cheers,
Hermann