Re: DIVCO Fusion (Utraview) tuning problem 2.6.18 kernel

Peter McNeil wrote:
> G'day all,
>
> has the tuning problem with the 2.6.18 kernels for the Dvico Fusion HDTV
> cards been solved yet? I have the problem with Fedora Core 5 and 6 with
> this kernel (module-init-tools 3.2.2)
>
> using mplayer I get:
>
> dvb_tune Freq: 205625000
> Not able to lock to the signal on the given frequency, timeout: 3
> dvb_tune, TUNING FAILED
> ERROR, COULDN'T SET CHANNEL  0: Failed to open dvb://ABC TV.
>
> tzap gives me:
>
> using '/dev/dvb/adapter0/frontend0' and '/dev/dvb/adapter0/demux0'
> tuning to 205625000 Hz
> video pid 0x0200, audio pid 0x028a
> status 00 | signal 10bf | snr 0000 | ber 00000000 | unc 00000000 |
> status 00 | signal 000f | snr 0000 | ber 00000000 | unc 00000000 |
> //repeated forever
>
> lsmod looks ok to me, loading mt352 module.
>
> uname -a
> Linux zoot.mcneils.net 2.6.18-1.2200.fc5 #1 SMP Sat Oct 14 16:59:56 EDT
> 2006 x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux
>
> I saw this thread
> http://linuxtv.org/pipermail/linux-dvb/2006-September/012639.html and
> this one
> http://www.linuxtv.org/pipermail/linux-dvb/2006-September/012691.html
> which seems to suggest people were working on it but I haven't seen any
> conclusions.
>
> Can anyone shed some light on this? I'd love to keep my system up to
> date but if I can't have my DVB ...

Nobody has ever provided any more information about this problem, other
than the information in the links above.  I would like to be able to solve
this for you, but I do not know the answer.  Instead, I can offer a
workaround:

If you are unable to build the v4l-dvb modules from the linuxtv.org hg
repository (howto - http://linuxtv.org/repo) against your fedora kernel,
then there is another option.

If you are using the ATrpms package repository, then simply do:

yum install video4linux-kmdl-`uname -r`

...That will install the latest snapshot of the v4l-dvb kernel modules
into your running fedora kernel.  I cannot make any promises that the
2.6.18 tree will ever be fixed for your device, because I do not know
what is actually causing the error... but this method should hold you
over.

If you want to help us to find the actual problem that caused this
behavior, please do a git bisection test to determine the problem
changeset in kernel development history:

How To Use git-bisect To Isolate a Bogus Commit