Re: hdtv scanning

> ==========================
> Date: Mon, 06 Nov 2006 12:51:54 +0100
> From: Klaus Schmidinger <Klaus.Schmidinger@xxxxxxxxxx>
> To: linux-dvb@xxxxxxxxxxx
> Subject: Re:  hdtv scanning
> ==========================

[...]
> The whole HDTV thing is of no interest to me until there is
> a DVB card that can actually replay HDTV in hardware. Until then
> I'm not going to spend any time on this. And by looking at what
> great lengths broadcasters are going to just to make sure nobody
> sees (let a lone records) their HDTV programmes, it's even questionable
> if this will ever become interesting for VDR.

As far as I can get on my side, using a dual core Athlon64 4600+ suffice for this purpose. Not a small pc, of course, but still in reach. The 6600/7600GT Nvidia chipsets offload about 30% the main cpu and H264 programs are received and re played fluently.

The real problem with HDTV for me here is that I'm forced to use *Windows*, because my DVB-S2 Technotrend card is, unfortunately, not supported on linux yet, given that HDTV broadcasts are only in DVB-S2, at least in my country.

According to my rough estimates, using the linux OS would give a 50% gain in performance, probably further reducing the demand on the above PC hardware.
Regards