Couple of question regarding installation

> Am Samstag, 14. Oktober 2006 16:35 schrieb Patrick Boettcher:
> > Where is the driver from you are using? Can you try the drivers from
> > latest hg (v4l-dvb)?

> I'm using only the drivers from the kernel (2.6.17.6) and the
> firmware. No other drivers? Do I need to v4l userscape stuff?
>
> horus linux # grep DVB .config
> CONFIG_DVB=y
> CONFIG_DVB_CORE=m
> CONFIG_DVB_USB=m
> CONFIG_DVB_USB_A800=m
> CONFIG_DVB_DIB3000MC=m
>

> Thanks,
>
> Florian

Dear Florian,

I am using the same DVB-T Tuner AverTV A800 USB 2.0 and it works fine but there are some particularities/bugs/patches to take into account:

---------------------
1) Concerning the modules you list I think you are missing some, in my case I have:
grep DVB .config | grep -v "#"
=>
CONFIG_DVB=y
CONFIG_DVB_CORE=m
CONFIG_DVB_USB=m
CONFIG_DVB_USB_A800=m
CONFIG_DVB_USB_DIBUSB_MB=m
CONFIG_DVB_USB_DIBUSB_MC=m
CONFIG_DVB_DIB3000MB=m
CONFIG_DVB_DIB3000MC=m
CONFIG_DVB_PLL=m

I think here the support for 3000MB and DiBUSB_MB is not necessary (but I still compiled these modules) but you absolutely need CONFIG_DVB_USB_DIBUSB_MC=m which is normally well selected when you use "make xconfig" to configure your kernel. I believe this is your present frontend problem. Furthermore there is also DVB_PLL you will need (I suppose).
The modules I have loaded are (output from lsmod):

dvb_usb_a800           23940  0
dvb_usb_dibusb_common    26756  1 dvb_usb_a800
mt2060                 22148  1 dvb_usb_dibusb_common
dib3000mc              29060  0 dvb_usb_dibusb_common
dibx000_common         20996  1 dib3000mc
dvb_usb                39944  2 dvb_usb_a800,dvb_usb_dibusb_common
dvb_core              101040  1 dvb_usb
firmware_class         27904  1 dvb_usb
dvb_pll                32644  1 dvb_usb_dibusb_common,dvb_usb

here the mt2060 is also loaded (from a quite late version of the driver and in 2.6.17.x you will not have this one, that is okay).

----------------------
2.) A part from you first order problem to have all modules there are other problems which require your attention. In principle the driver for the AverTV A800 works well but if you have the new version of this tuner, such as me, than there is no need for a firmware the driver version in kernel up to 2.6.18 will not properly initialize the module (a confusion between cold and warm state). There is a simple patch you can apply to solve this problem and which was discussed several months ago between Patrick, me, and some other people:
http://www.linuxtv.org/pipermail/linux-dvb/2006-July/011456.html
http://www.linuxtv.org/pipermail/linux-dvb/2006-June/011298.html
the second link contains the patch and you can apply it to 2.6.17.x or 2.6.18 without any problem.

-----------------------
3.) There is also another bug/problem with the driver, maybe not with the a800.c file but with the frontend or something related. After getting a first lock there is no video flux until immediately getting a second lock. With xine this does not create problem but with vlc you have first to clic on stop and then on play to start the video flux. There is also a nice work around using tzap. Details about this problem and the work around in the second half of this message:
http://www.linuxtv.org/pipermail/linux-dvb/2006-June/011248.html
This problem is present in 2.6.17.x but it is repaired in 2.6.18 !!!

4.) And now the worst: There is NEW bug, corruption of the mpeg flux for certain multiplexes !! I have tested this on two very different machines. This bug is new and appears in the latest drivers. I will report about this bug/problem in a different thread. For the moment being I strongly suggest that you DO NOT USE use the very latest DVB-driver from the official tree neither the driver which is actually also in 2.6.19-rc1 (=> DO NOT USE either 2.6.19-rc1), at least the official tree one week ago had this bug (I didn't verify later modifications).

In summary to get a working driver, I suggest in the following order of preferences:

1) Download and compile the kernel 2.6.18 and apply the very small patch to the file a800.c in "drivers/media/dvb/dvb-usb/a800.c" which I mention in point 2.) above. In this way you will get a working driver without any bugs (neither bug 2, 3, 4 of this list). Of course you need to compile all necessary modules, i.e. solve your actual problem.

2) If you stick with 2.6.17.x or 2.6.16.x than you can still apply the same patch to repair the bug 2 (cold-warm-state problem) but you still have the other bug 3 (the first-lock-problem) for which there are workarounds which are not very tough (essentially calling vlc in script with calling tzap before).

3) If you want to use the latest DVB-tree possible, you can take one which is at least 3-4 weeks old (if that is technically possible with the "hg"-download method ??) and combine it with every kernel version since 2.6.12 or 2.6.13 (I believe). I am actually using 2.6.19-rc1 but with the DVB v4l-tree from 12 August 2006 in which all bugs 2 and 3 are also repaired and bug 4 is not yet present. I believe the bug 4 appeared about 3-4 weeks ago, some time in september.

Greetings, Klaus.